Tuesday, March 1, 2011

An Autobiography By Mason Kemeny


My parents, Tamira Kemeny and Robert Kemeny were married on Sunday 19th June 1994.
Less than four years later on 6th April 1998 at 9.05am my mother brought me into this world with the help of Dr Steven Horrowitz at the Randwick Women’s Hospital.

At the time my father, Robert was 28 years old and studying part time at the University of Technology in Sydney. My mother, Tamira was 26 years old when I was born and was working as a book keeper.

One of my first memories of school or pre-school was of the pre-school I went to on Old South Head Road in Rose Bay, just down from the petrol station. On my first day in 2003 I can remember walking into a room full of friendly faces and meeting a lot of people who I became friends with during the course of that year. Some are still my friends to this day. It was a really fun packed year and a year with lots of memories that I will remember for many, many years to come. During the last few months of 2003, I remember travelling to different primary schools around the area to get a feel for what they would be like for me for the following year. The first one we looked at was Moriah, but I didn’t think that was where I would be. After a few other visits at other schools we finally found the school that seemed to be a perfect fit for me. That school was Reddam House.

It seemed to me like I was walking into a castle, but not any ordinary castle, this seemed like the greatest castle on earth. The school grounds seemed grand and mysterious all at the same time.

The year I first started year K was 2004. I was put into KE and my teacher was Ms Mache. In my classroom I met all of my new classmates. The first classmate and friend I made was Michael Grant. He was nice and friendly and we played together during the course of the day. It was nice to have a friendly face to talk to at recess and lunchtime.
During the course of that week I met other people and had tried to remember all their names, as well as trying to remember all the names of the new teachers. It really was tricky trying to put all those new names to the new faces.

It took a while to learn the ropes of this new school and how everything ran at Reddam House, but I soon got the hang of it all and by the middle of the year, I felt like I had been there for years.

The years rolled by and before I knew it, I was in year 3 and wearing my own school blazer once a week to assembly. Just like all the other big kids I had seen wear it week after week for all those years. I couldn’t believe it was finally my turn. I was lucky enough to have Mr David Freeman as my year 3 teacher. He taught me many, many important and fun things, especially how to be more independent.

Fast forward to the year 2011 and I have just entered year 7 at Reddam House. Where has the time gone? How have those years just flown by? I now understand when my parents and their friends tell me, I remember when….. and how quickly the years can go by.
I feel like it was just yesterday when I was sitting in Ms Mache’s class with her standing up the front of the classroom, instructing us in all the Reddam rules on that very first day of year K, now its Mr Garrett’s turn to stand in front of me and tell me what to expect from year 7 and the next 6 years of school. I have reached the half way mark of my school education.
2011 is a real milestone year, not only for me, but for my brother and sister too. My brother started year 5 this year, and my sister started year K, in fact she is also in KE just like I was.
I know we all have many more milestones ahead of us, and I am looking forward to writing about the next 13 years of my life, when I will be 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment