Tuesday, March 8, 2011

                                Masih- English Task Two


                                      The Pack Wolf

Uncertainty, that was the first feeling I had walking in the huge gates of the new


school, my family and I had moved from Jamaica to Sydney, it was so hard moving,


but we were so fed up by all the crime and gang violence, but mainly racism against


black people. However it was not just the racism that made us angry, being white we


were expected to either agree or just walk away if someone was being racist, but when


we stood up for the black people they would stare at us like we had just insulted them


in the worst way possible.






Nostalgia is probably one of the worst feelings in the world, I always thought that


homesick was such a strange thing to call it, but i starting to understand why they call


it that, you start feeling sick, like someone has taken a chunk out of your stomach,


you what to go back so bad, but you completely know that it is one hundred percent


impossible. Nostalgia it is definitely the one word I would use if you wanted me to


explain the first few months. Walking into the new school, everyone was part of


something; there were so many small ghettos. I felt like a lone wolf that had walked


into a pack. I just could not remember any of the children’s names, and the teacher’s


names were even harder. I didn’t feel like I was part of the school. I felt like no one


shared my pain, like everyone besides me was so happy. After a while, the school felt


like hell, a hell designed solely for me, not anyone else.






I don’t understand why anyone would bully someone else, what’s in it for them? Well


to me it was just another thing designed to make school even worse. There was a boy


named Chris. He would always bully me, physically, verbally, almost in every way. He


would always corner me when no one was looking, then he would taunt me, then when he


got tired of that, he would start beating me up. I hated Chris so much that every night,


just to calm down, I would imagine him begging for mercy. I really can’t imagine why he


did what he did do, what was in it for him, I think he was so lonely himself, and he was


desperate to feel like he was in a position of power.






After about two terms, I found a friend, his name was Jake, and I felt he understood


me because he only came to the school in year four. After a while, things weren’t so


bad and I had found my place in a group. I felt so much better. All of my friends also


backed me when Chris tried to taunt me, and after a while, everyone hated him. I felt


like I now belonged, like I had a place in all of those small ghettos. I felt like I was the


pack wolf.

1 comment:

  1. 14

    Well done Masih! This is an effective narrative based on autobiographical elements. The extended metaphor of the wolf pack works very well in this piece, highlighting the protagonist's situation.

    You must develop the descriptive elements of your writing to bring each scene to life. More detailed imagery needed.

    Punctuation is a major problem here. More full stops are required to help the flow of this.

    ReplyDelete