Monday, March 21, 2011

Jordy Frish Task 1

Camp Experiences

It was the first full day of camp and I had two of the best activities. After a long walk to where my groups’ activities were we finally arrived at a tiny metal door that I doubted I would fit through. We were told that this was where we would be doing caving. After a quick demonstration on how to put on the safety helmet and some rules we plunged into the darkness.

At the beginning of the cave it was a nice width but as we started to crawl through the pipes I realised this was not going to be fun. At the first open room it must have been thirty-six degrees with about eighteen people breathing in one enclosed room with no fresh air. After that it only got worse. After we got past the point and went into the next open room, it was not only the one room that we had to turn off our torches, but it was ever smaller and still those twenty people breathing in and out.

 As we continued things widened but still the spaces were cramped and stuffy. After a gruelling thirty minutes in that cave we exited and we were given a choice, either go back with only one torch or take the ten second walk back to where we started. I was kind of bewildered that thirty minuets in a cave transfers over to ten seconds of walking.

Then we did the most challenging activity, it was called “Adventure Valley”. This course was built by the army and it was properly built for army training. The first obstacle was jumping down through tyres and landing in muddy water. Most of the course went on like this for quite some time all the courses were hard but one course in particular was the worst. This obstacle involved climbing up a slippery pipe with no grip and then had I to climb down it without doing too much damage to myself.

Then we had dinner. It was one of the best (camp) spaghetti and mince ever. After dinner we went to a waterslide to have some fun.  The water temperature was perfect and it was a good length, everyone had some fun on itJ.

The next day was the last day of camp and my group had the best activity. We had the giant swing. The swing was a 15 meter drop and a 4 second free fall. We were all give a number in order to go on it. My number was 16. After waiting for 15 people in front of me, I went up and it was scary. At the very top you have the choice to pull the rope that starts the swing or go lower. At the very top I pulled the rope and I felt a powerful jolt, and I was falling after the four seconds that felt like an eternity. I swung back up and then down again this repeated for quite some time until it finally stoped.

 Overall, I think it was an amazing camp. Everyone had lots of fun and it gave the new students a chance to make friends and  I also challenged myself and learnt new things. J




Jordy Frish Yr7 English

No comments:

Post a Comment