Monday, March 14, 2011

Tullie Zimmerman

Year 7 2011 Camp
Today was the second day of camp. As per usual we would wake up at 7aqm each of us had a shower from my cabin, get dressed and go straight down to the food hall. Today’s breakfast was hash browns, scrambled eggs and toast. After we had finished eating we would go straight into our activities for the day.
The morning activity today was rock climbing, which I was excited for. Our wonderful instructor Nick and our amazing drama teacher Mrs B took us on a long walk down to the rock climbing area. When we arrived at the area another instructor by the name of Shaggy was there, he was  in charge of showing us how to put on our harnesses and helmets. After knowing how to put or helmets and harnesses we got straight into it!
 The first rock climbing wall I did was called The Ocean. It was the easiest of the all. I had a lot of motivation from all my friends to reach the top. When you reach the top it is a wonderful moment. The next wall I tried was the one just a little bit harder but in fact it wasn’t hard at all. I had reached the top with in no time. Then I did some belaying. So I got back into my harness and helmet and held onto the rope they were attached to. Every time they had stepped up onto a higher rock you would have to pull up and make sure there was no slack. After a long tiring activity it was time for morning tea.
Our group all walked up to the Cake House were morning tea was served. Today we were having freshly cut mouth watering oranges, Bananas and green cordial. We all met up for 10 – 15 minutes with all the other groups to chat and share the news on what activity we just had done. After morning tea our group was scheduled to participate on The Giant Swing. Nick took us all on another walk to The Giant Swing.
Then we arrived to The Giant Swing. The activity I had waiting for the most out of the camp. Once again we were shown how to put on our harnesses and helmets and then we started. Every time somebody had a go we would pull this long orange rope and walk backwards to lift them higher up into the air. After 6 or 7 people it was finally my go.
I walked over to the diamond made out of rope and went under it. Nick strapped me in and I had to walk up 3 steps of a ladder and then let go so that I was dangling in the air on a rope. When it was the all clear everybody started to pull me up higher and higher with the tree tops. It was an amazing sight and then when you look down and you see your feet dangling in the middle of the air it was so scary. Everybody yelled 3, 2, 1! And I pulled this small blue rope and I went whoosh whoosh in the air backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards until Nick told me to cross my legs and he would hold onto them until I would stop. Then I stepped onto the ladder and Nick un-buckled me and let me go on to the ground. That was by far my favourite activity in the camp and cannot wait to go back again next year if we go.



1 comment:

  1. 13

    Well done Tullie! This is a lively account of your experiences at camp. Some very exciting passages here. Try to include more detailed descriptions of key moments, places and people to help bring this to life.

    Well written overall. Some problems with punctuation here and there. Use more full stops please.

    A well structured response with a sound beginning, middle and concluding phase.

    ReplyDelete