Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Eric Zykov Task 2

THE JET SKI

I woke up early that morning. The Tahitian sun welcoming me to another adventurous day.

Tingling excitement was jumping in me, because I knew that today was going to be a great day. Perhaps the best day of my holiday yet!

I got out of our beachside bungalow and stepped onto the soft yellow sand. There, awaiting us, were six bright yellow jet-skis, slowly drifting in the calm shallow water. Yes, my dad and I were going on a jet ski trip around the tropical island of Moorea. Thinking about what I was just about to do was very exciting.

Some other lucky tourists were also eagerly waiting to be seated as well. We had a local instructor that would be helping us with our journey.

Finally we got on the jet ski. Of course riding on a jet ski is very risky, therefore the instructor shared with us the safety tips. I was sitting at the front and my dad was sitting behind me, but he was driving. My mum was filming us from the shore.

The motor roared as my dad pressed the starter button and we slowly started to make our way out of the shallow resort waters.

After about two minutes of gliding on the water, we reached the end of the coral lagoon; this meant that we entered the wild, open ocean with big waves. Our jet ski was going out of control. I believed we were going to capsize. My dad thought that to make the jet ski stop wildly rocking, you needed to take your hands off the acceleration, like you would do in a car. Luckily the instructor came and told us that to keep the Jet Ski stable you needed to maintain the speed and ignore the waves. We were back on track.

I really liked the feeling of zooming through the water and droplets of water, cooling my face. From the jet ski I saw the beautiful green mountain ranges that towered over us. I really appreciated the beauty of this small island. Moorea has a number of beautiful coves. We went to the first cove. We stopped there and the instructor told us some interesting history about this cove.

After that we were once again zooming our way across the water. We saw the Intercontinental resort that had dolphins swimming around in the water.

Then came the destination we were all waiting for. The shark and sting ray lagoon. This lagoon was just a place where there were loads of two metre sharks and immense stingrays. I cautiously slid of the Jet Ski, making sure I would not accidentally step on one of the rays. It was interesting to see the way the stingrays were moving through the water. They looked like giant black birds gliding through the water. They were the size of a dinner table!

Then the instructor started feeding the rays with bits of fish. I was having a great time patting the rays. Surprisingly they quite liked it. The rays were smooth and slimy. The instructor also invited people to kiss the ray that he was holding, but I did not love the rays that much, but still I felt like I made a bond with them and I was sad to go. The sharks kept away because I think that they were scared of the tourists trying to kiss them.

That was our last and the best stop. We quickly drove the jet ski for the last time, but this time I was driving. I was quite reluctant to drive at first, but I wanted to give it a try and it turned out that I really loved it. My driving was very smooth and quick, in my opinion better than my dad’s.

Soon we were just metres away from our resort. When we smoothly docked along the sand, I quickly came running to my mum telling her how wonderful the trip was. I was very happy, this was one of the best days of my life, and that is probably why I wrote about it.

1 comment:

  1. Well written Eric! This is a vivid account of a memorable day with some exceptional descriptions, e.g your description of the water droplets on your face and the mountains in the distance. You need to provide more of these sorts of detailed passages throughout your piece. This is also more of a recount than a narrative.

    Make sure you stick to the past tense if this is how you begin. Once or twice you shift back into the present, which sounds clumsy.

    Your spelling, grammar and punctuation are sound generally. Well done.

    ReplyDelete