Monday, March 7, 2011

Daniel Butler's task two

The Day Australia Went Bust
It was just the other day. All the banks began to lose money, there were thefts on every corner store, there were frequent power outs and there was a disease spreading terribly through the Northern Territory from what I had heard on the news. The news had also stated that the airlines had been cut off from every where else, no one came in and no one went out.
Someone had mentioned to me that it was all because the ozone layer was destroyed near Australia. Apparently we were not the only people affected by this disaster. There were other islands but they had been evacuated to another island somewhere. All the plants outside were dead. The police were strolling the streets with gas masks and big guns. We weren’t allowed outside which meant no SCHOOL!!! But it meant no friends as well. Luckily most of my friends had Facebook and Skype, but that only worked when we had electricity. Sometimes we would sneak to a friend around the corner or something like that. Some people were angry about the way that their family weren’t getting enough food. Riot groups began to form and my friends Dad was in one. Most of the riots weren’t successful in getting more food. Once at about 6 in the evening I snuck out into Hall Street which comes off my road. I looked both ways and saw no one. I ran across the road to the old Italian restaurant. I peeped through the smashed window and saw the scariest looking criminal in there stealing paintings and money I hid. I loved the Italian and I wasn’t going to watch some scary looking person violate the restaurant, so I went and got the nearest rock and held it tight. I felt the sweat run down my cheek as I heard a crack and I jumped, steadying myself and peering again. I couldn’t see anyone but then up came a head, so I hid. Remembering all the dinners I had there, I gripped the rock tight and threw it through the window at great speed. The adrenaline hit me across the face and I began to run. I sprinted across the road stopping and looking back. I saw the man walk out and look directly at me. My heart had stopped but my legs hadn’t. I was running so fast hoping I would be caught by the police but as I looked back I saw no one except a policeman at the very end of the road. He did not see me. I was relieved to get my breath back at home.
The next morning I was woken by gun shots. I peered through my front window and saw two police cars blocking the road and 5 people behind it.I could not make out exactly what they were shooting but I guessed there were 2 men behind a tree that was blocking my view. My Mum held me back from investigating further which was probably smart. The gun shots stopped after 1 policeman had been shot and the criminals had been put to jail I hoped. Most mornings there was a fight on my street either with a policeman or a neighbour. I was in a fight with a guy not much older than me but I hit him harder than he hit me. He took a swing at me and it hit me quite gently but I had no mercy. I smashed him in the face and I saw a tooth fly from his jaw as he swung to fight back. I dodged his next move and got him once more in the gut as I backed off. He fell down on the ground and lay there. I was scared as he was bigger than me and could probably hurt me but I held my ground until he stood. Once he was up, I waited and then he pushed me down. He clenched his fist but as my eyes closed and I braced myself for the pain I saw my friend hit him from just outside his gate.  He fell down on the floor. I watched his almost lifeless body hit the concrete.  I looked up thankfully and talked briefly to my friend before I saw a cop at the top of the street. I had to go. When I got back home, the adrenalin had settled and I went to calm myself with TV but we were experiencing a blackout which was disappointing. I got over it after making a small video about claymation. I got bored so headed for bed. I woke in the morning to the sound of barking which is what I had normally been woken by and went to find breakfast. After not eating I went to watch T.V and by that time we were back to normal with the electricity I was thinking about what would have happened if this had hit a second world country and what would be the affect on them. When I came back to T.V I was instantly bored by what was a terrible show so I turned it off. I went to my uncles who lives around the corner to ask how they were but no one was home we called every where but luckily we found them at my grand parents. After the day search I went to bed I woke this morning to the daily barking looked out the window saw that the next door neighbours were robbed and had lost a lot of things such as kids toys, computers, T.V, money and much more. It was scary to think it could have been us. In the afternoon I was trying to find something to do so I thought why not wright a story about the past few days. So I did and here it is the past few days have been the most exciting in my life. And I hope we recover.
Daniel Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment